Cosmetic dentistry is the improvement or enhancement of one’s facial appearance by changing the shape, colour, size and alignment of the teeth. There are a bunch of ways to improve the looks of your teeth and smile here are just a few:
– Teeth whitening systems are used to lighten and perfect the beauty of your teeth.
– Implants are artificial roots and teeth embedded into the jaw to replace missing teeth.
– Crown caps can often be used to improve the shape, size and colour of teeth for aesthetic purposes.
– Veneers are thin semi-translucent cover made from porcelain and bonded to the surface edge of the tooth to enhance the colour and shape of a tooth. A bit of tooth structure is removed from the front, edge and most likely the sides of the tooth. As the tooth structure is altered, the process is not reversible.
– Bonding is the method of reshaping chipped or misaligned teeth by “gluing” tooth color material to the surface and edge of a tooth. The method is completely reversible as no tooth structure is removed.
– Often crowded and poorly aligned teeth need to be realigned to improved one’s grin and appearance. Today braces are for everyone, and it is not strange to see adults in their 50’s or older wearing braces on their teeth. If the process is simply to realign teeth on the present arch ( the bony framework of the jaw ), braces are the treatments of choice. If the method requires the reshaping of the arch, then functional appliances could be used together with braces.